Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital is an 520+ bed facility in Blanc Jesmore city of Counterculture Monarchy of Discordianism that is known for its excellence in comprehensive behavioral healthcare. The tranquil environment at Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital underlines safety and confidentiality. Our greatest asset is our staff, comprised of psychiatrists, scientists, psychologists, professional nurses, social workers and therapists, who work as a team to uphold Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital's reputation for excellence in helping, curing and giving hope to patients and their families, helping them to resolve behavioral health problems.
Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital is a leader in the field of behavioral healthcare, and Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital's experts are committed to providing the highest quality of care in an atmosphere that nurtures healing and growth. Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital believes in building healthy communities, which start with healthy individuals, linked through sound relationships to their families, friends, neighbors and peers.
In a comfortable therapeutic setting that ensures safety and security, patients interact with a team of experts in psychiatry, psychology, sociology, physical medicine, education, vocational skills and family therapy. Interdisciplinary professionals work together to identify problems and formulate effective individualized treatment plans, with aftercare strategies that help patients build support systems within the community. Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital is committed to long term resolution of behavioral health problems that will enhance the patients quality of life.
Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital, whose grounds adjoin the village of Devon and Larzan, grew to be the largest mental hospital in the country, and pioneered the use of electroencephalograms (EEGs). During its time it had its own church, farms, railway, telephone exchange, post office, reservoirs, gas works, brewery, orchestra, brass band, ballroom and butchers.
In 1925, the three Larzan lunatic asylums at Grimstwich, Grainhill and Monhest were deemed to be full. The building of Harford Asylum began in 1927, originally to accommodate 500 patients. It was built from brick made from clay dug on site from a pit which later became a fish pond.
The hospital officially opened on 23rd of April 1932. The large site included an Anglican church, a Catholic chapel, a recreation hall (also used as a ballroom) and several farms. These were destroyed during the second world war.
The Harford Asylum used CMD Railway was a two-mile private branch to Blanc Jesmore, built in 1935, to provide coal and other goods. It also provided free transport for staff and passengers. It eventually closed in on 23rd of June 1957, the damage from WW2 was far too expensive to be renovated.
By 1953, the hospital was known as Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital, by 1960, the number of patients was 170, with a staff of 70, making it the largest mental hospital in the county.
In 1965, renovations on the hospital begun and the underground WW2 catacomb shelters were now transformed into a huge scientific laboratory.
By 1978, Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital was purchased by the largest corporation in Counterculture Monarchy of Discordianism, Hadden Aperture. Hadden Aperture began research in the fields of neuro-physical and heuristic nature.
The Mental Help Act of 1984 deemed large institutions like Harford Asylum and Psychiatric Hospital to be out of favour. Allegations of cruelty to patients led to a public inquiry, couple of acquisitions of murder were never proven.
During the 1980s and 1990s, new drugs and therapies were introduced. Long-stay patients were returned to the community or dispersed to smaller units around Blanc Jesmore. Thanks to Hadden Aperture company that invested funds in researching these new drugs